Search This Blog

Monday, January 29, 2018

The Bold and Courageous...Servant

I've been attempting to implement new, more productive and consistent habits into my life. I'm doing this for my personal life and my business. As a wife and mother, if I'm going to be also building a business, I MUST have my ducks in a row and start shooting some of the "squirrels" that distract me. Also, I'm woefully inadequate at some of my spiritual habits, as well. So, praying, a Daily Devotion and finding a good affirmation for my day are on my list of things I have to improve myself. No affirmation was coming today so I went to prayer to see if  Father would shine a light on that for me. As always, He was, indeed, faithful to help me! Also, it's something on which I feel there is a need for some diligent "chewing". As you read what I write, if anything else comes to your mind or heart, feel free to share with me because adding another perspective is always a good thing!

In life, I think we have a tendency to separate "Bold & Courageous" from "Servant". Let's keep them separate from each other and see what that looks like. Say, you are someone who has the financial wherewithal to have servants. If they are not Bold & Courageous...what would they be? Timid, cautious, fearful, shy, quiet. Is that really the kind of servant we would want? Yes, such a person would be quite good at following orders and requests but is that ALL a servant is supposed to do?

Since I am a simple Country Girl and neither have I experienced having a servant nor do I know anyone who employs servants, the only thing I have to go on is what I've seen on television. I kind of imagine you might be in the same boat with me. So, think of a movie you've seen where someone employed servants who were as we just described. For some reason my mind is going to the movie, "The Devil wears Prada". Ms. Miranda Priestly has employees but she treats them like servants whose only purpose in their entire lives is to serve her. If you seen the movie you will remember that everyone walked on egg shells around her, never expressed their opinion, were fearful of losing their job if they inconvenienced her in any way. Everyone in her circle was timid, cautious, fearful, shy and quiet. The spoke when they were spoken to and not before!

Move to another example that comes to my mind: Alfred in the Batman movies. Alfred anticipated every move of Bruce Wayne....much like everyone in Miranda Priestly's circle. BUT...he wasn't afraid to give his Master his well thought out and extremely articulate point of view, either. In fact, in "The Dark Knight Rises" Alfred actually expresses his opinion to the point of quitting his life long service to "Young Master Wayne". THIS is what I would call a Bold & Courageous Servant.

"But how in the world does that apply to me?", you might ask. (Didn't I tell you in the last blog that I >love< good questions?) We are all servants in one capacity or another. Wives to our husbands; Mothers to our children; Children to our parents, Employee to our Boss or Company. Have you ever awakened to your day and asked, "Who can I serve today?" Maybe not. ...but maybe you should. Don't worry, I'm not going to get anymore spiritual or Biblical than I already have but imagine a world where EVERYONE started their day in such a manner. (let the Jeopardy theme run one course through your head while you ponder this possibility...) Can you imagine the implications of EVERYONE serving EVERYONE? Now...imagine a world where we had Bold and Courageous servants.

As a Mom, being a Bold and Courageous Servant might look something like this:

You wake up your young charges at the prescribed time every school day morning to fix them a breakfast that will be the most beneficial to their young bodies and brains. (because you've done some research into what young bodies and brains need to be at the peak performance) You've taught them good, healthy and acceptable hygiene, you know who needs a little extra supervision in this endeavor and who can be trusted to be responsible in this area but you give each one a "look-see" to make sure no areas have been neglected. If someone looks a bit disheveled or their color scheme is a bit uncoordinated you would tactfully point out their "faux pas" and make suggestions for a better choice of style or color. (one can express one's individual style but should have the basics of "tidy" and "modesty" well in hand before moving to such expression, yes?) Then, one would send one's charges off to school, knowing they can be confident in their morning preparation to meet the day.

There....you have just been a Bold & Courageous Servant, anticipating the needs of someone else AND offering advice or instruction with love, tact and in a manner that is most likely to be accepted by that someone else. You feel good. They feel good. It's a win/win situation. Now, apply this thought to other areas: being a Spouse, an Employee, an Employer, Volunteer, Business Owner. What would each of these situations look like if he/she were a Bold & Courageous Servant?

This is a blog and not a dissertation on Servanthood so I'm going to leave you with that to think on. But I have my Affirmation for today, at least.

"I am a bold and courageous servant." Throughout MY day I am a servant to my Creator, King, and Father, YHVH Almighty. In that fact, I can be bold and courageous. Where will I serve? In every area of my day and anywhere in the world He leads me: with my husband, my children, my Team, my friends, and rank strangers I might meet today. Because I will be bold in my looking and courageous in my actions. I won't be getting up in anyone's Kool-Aid, to be sure...because that's not what servants do. But I will be seeking where I can serve.

What about you?

1 comment:

  1. I love, love, love that you're publishing a blog! FAB O LOUS words lady! Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete